[imp] Deleted messages are counted in summary

Steven Alexson steve at alexson.org
Sun May 18 11:33:12 PDT 2003

When a user logs in, the INBOX summary seems to be counting unseen deleted
messages as part of the total. This is, of course, for users that do not move
deleted messages to a trash bin. This tends to be an annoying inaccuracy,
especially for users with filters that move messages to other folders.

As in my test case, I have several folders which are checked for new messages,
and each has a filter that moves messages into the folders. When I logon,
assume that I have 8 new messages. 5 of which were filtered into new folders
which are also checked. Now my summary reads that there are new messages in
these folders, plus 8 new messages in the INBOX. This could be confusing for
users which choose to hide deleted items, and forget or choose not to purge
their INBOX before they log off.

I am assuming that IMP has some mechanism to recognize the difference between
deleted and not deleted messages since I knows the difference in the folder
view. Couldn't that same mechanism be incorporated into the summary tool?

--
Steven Alexson

"Common sense is not so common." --Voltaire