[imp] IMP, Kronolith and vCal/iCal

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Mon May 26 08:02:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 08:45, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Diego Rivera <lrivera at racsa.co.cr>:
>
> > Also, I forgot to ask (but I assume a similar state of affairs) about
> > IMP-Turba integration for vCards.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Here's where all of this fits in: I'm collaborating with some guys and
> > we're interested in achieving "tight" (however you define that :) )
> > integration between IMP/Turba/Kronolith/Nag/Mnemo and the Kolab server.
>
> Cool!
>
> > I'm currently exploring the Kronolith side of things and I'm going to
> > develop a driver for this.  The driver must access the vCards stored in
> > a particular folder in the user's IMAP account (same goes for tasks,
> > notes and addresses, but others are on this).  Luckily for me, Kronolith
> > already handles vCards, so all I have to do is retrieve them for
> > display!
>
> You mean iCalendar events, not vCards, right?

Yes.  :)  I've also been meaning to get a working brain...one that
hasn't been fried on scotch, cigarettes and miniskirts. :)

> > 1) Use the exact same connection parameters defined for IMP e-mail from
> > within Kronolith to open its own imap connection (or reuse an existing
> > one) to get/put the vCal stuff into the private calendar.  Is using
> > IMP's connection info (or open connections) feasible?
>
> Connection info, probably (though a tad messy); open connection, no.
> Though... ah, I think you could. We might just have to tweak the
> imp/authenticate() method a bit, and/or add an imp/getStream() method.

That would be the idea.  Adding the getStream method would probably be
best because others (turba, nag, mnemo) will eventually need it as well
(as they're integrated).

> > 2) Use WebDAV or WebDAV/S (SSL) to publish the calendar's information as
> > an iCal file (does PEAR or Horde have WebDAV?  does PHP?).  A possible
> > alternative to WebDAV is FTP which I KNOW is supported (at least at the
> > php level).
>
> We definitely have FTP support (see the Horde_VFS library). There is a
> desire to add DAV support to VFS, but it hasn't been done yet.

Thought so.  FTP will do for now, but the Kolab-preferred method for
publishing free/busy is WebDAV/S, so I'd probably also pitch in to add
that support to the library (need to read the WebDAV specs first).

> > 3) Achieve Turba integration with Kronolith such that I may examine a
> > particular contact's published calendar info (if the relevant URL is
> > provided as part of the vCard or something to that effect), and thus use
> > their free/busy info when scheduling meetings.
>
> There is already (at least rudimentary) support for this - take a look at
> Moment.

Moment? New project? I looked for it and could't find it in the FTP
site...is it CVS-only?

> > 4) Extend the "new calendar event" page so that there's an "invite
> > others" button.  This would allow a user to choose the contacts to send
> > the invitation to from Turba (or manually by typing e-mail addx's) and
> > send that vCal invitation out to said contacts, later receiving the
> > corresponding vCal responses.  This, I'd need to extend IMP's api.php to
> > support something like "IMP::sendEmail(identity, recipients, subject,
> > data)".  Possibly also allowing autocompletion in similar fashion to
> > IMP.
>
> Look at kronolith/invite.php. Most of this is already implemented.

Cool....my workload drops by the minute! :)

> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.
* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *