Fwd: Re: [imp] German umlauts in subject and attachement-filenames

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon May 26 18:32:33 PDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from nschulze at jobelmannschule.de -----
    Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:45:52 +0200
    From: Norbert Schulze <nschulze at jobelmannschule.de>
 Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [imp] German umlauts in subject
and	attachement-filenames
      To: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> | But the saving problem still exists.
> |
> | Here is a piece of the mail source:
>
> [snip]
>
> | ------------FTwvEkQf2201IPmmWeMmoW
>
> This MIME message is all sorts of scrwed up.  That umlaut should not be in
> the filename - it is an 8bit character and must be MIME-encoded.

That may be. The mail was written with the Opera Mail-Client. I don't mind
if
the german umlaut is mangled in the saving dialog box, but I think it's a
bug,
when the whole filename disappears and the box only shows a few senseless
characters (e.g. 60tetgvx.). The characters vary on each saving attempt, but
the
trailing dot is always there.

Norbert

----- End forwarded message -----

You are correct - this is a bug, only with the Opera Mail-Client, not IMP.
See generally RFC 2822 (mail headers only allowed to be US-ASCII
characters) and RFC 2047 (non US-ASCII characters in MIME Headers MUST be
MIME encoded before sending).  The unencoded umlaut is causing problems,
most likely in the URL being created for download/view, and your browser
doesn't like it.

michael