[imp] Compose window won't close

Markus Krause krause at biochem.mpg.de
Sun Jun 1 06:37:09 PDT 2003

Zitat von Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> On Fri, 30 May 2003, Charlie Reitsma wrote:
>
> > Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> > > Are you using an IMAP proxy?
> > >
> > > Does this happen for any attachment, or only large attachments?
> > >
> > No. I do not use an IMAP proxy.
> > No. This only happens for large attachments. I'm calling large anything
> > over 600K and small anything under 100K. I have not searched for the
> > cutoff point between those.
>
> Check that your php memory limit is at least twice as large as the largest
> attachment you want to handle.  PHP holds a copy of the attachment in
> memory, plus a copy of the attachment base64 encoded in memory.
>
> 	Andy

if i may join your discussion ... ;-)

i had the very same problem reported by charlie reitsma: no closing compose
windows when writing attachments larger than 1m (approx.)

one part of the problem was related to the imapproxy, i switched to the
imapproxy from http://www.imapproxy.org and now i can send larger attachments
only limited by the memory apache can use (details see below).

this (or more precisely the php memory) was the next part: apache uses a
horrible amount of momory if i attach files! i did some tests and send several
mails with differnt sizes of attachments and logged the value of "VmRSS" in
/proc/[httpd_pid]/status and discovered the following (summarized as table):

attachment size | VmRSS
------------------------
1 Mbyte         | 24 MByte
2 Mbyte         | 31 MByte
3 Mbyte         | 37 MByte
4 Mbyte         | 47 MByte
5 Mbyte         | 52 MByte
6 Mbyte         | 58 MByte
7 Mbyte         | 64 MByte
8 Mbyte         | 73 MByte
9 Mbyte         | 78 MByte
10 Mbyte        | 93 MByte
15 Mbyte        | 124 MByte
20 Mbyte        | 150 MByte
25 Mbyte        | 196 MByte

thats quite a lot! and not only twice as the attachment size as andrew morgan
assumed (or am i missinterpreting something?)
to get this working i set "memory_limit = 400M" in /etc/php.ini

for downloading the attachments the memory usage is about 10 percent lower.

our system:
  suse 8.2 pro
  apache 1.3.27-38
  mod_php4 4.3.1-24
  horde cvs-snapshot 2003-05-30

btw: does anybody know if the value for memory_limit in php.ini is used for
every httpd process,  for all httpd togeher or really just the php-part? it
seems that the memory is counted for all processes together!

regards
   markus

This mail sent through the new webmail system
at https://webmail2.biochem.mpg.de
Please report any problems to rz-linux at biochem.mpg.de