[imp] Downloading messages and folders into my PC

Jeremy Oddo horde at apixels.net
Fri Jun 13 09:23:34 PDT 2003

>> Actually, IMAP doesn't download mail.  IMAP allows you to have complex
>> folder setups stored on a remote server.  If you want to download your
>> mail, you'll need to POP it.
>
> That's not true.  You wouldn't be able to see the mail if it wasn't
> downloaded at least to memory :-).  Any imap client that runs on a PC
> can copy messages and whole mail folders to local disk.  Usually drag
> and drop.
>
>From "The IMAP Connection" (http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.html):
"IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is a method of
accessing electronic mail or bulletin board messages that are kept on a
(possibly shared) mail server. In other words, it permits a "client" email
program to access remote message stores as if they were local. For
example, email stored on an IMAP server can be manipulated from a desktop
computer at home, a workstation at the office, and a notebook computer
while traveling, without the need to transfer messages or files back and
forth between these computers."