[imp] problem with Folder lists

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 24 11:06:42 PDT 2003

We are running in an environment where users access their email from any
number of different methods.

* on the local Linux machine via pine or elm
* via Pop3 or Imap to a client on a PC
* via Horde/Imp

Obviously, the users have shell access to the Linux machine (eg. to run
their own programs, TeX, Mathematica, etc).  This means that they often
have hundreds for files in their account.

Note that most people use a combination of at least 2 of these methods
and frequently all 3.  Ie. when they are in their office, they may use
Outlook Express using Imap; when already logged on

The problem we've run into is getting Imp to find the proper email
folders.  Originally we had it looking at the user's home directory so
that it could find the folders created by Outlook Express (et.al.) -
namely the "Sent Items" and "Drafts" folders (plus any other folders the
users created on their own).

But this caused HUGE degredation of performance for Imp - often causing
Imp to take upwards of 20 minutes (on an otherwise idle dual-processor
machine) just to open a message.

So we told Imp to look in the ~/mail directory for folders (very nice
for the pine users).  But now Imp can't find the OE folders.

Are we missing something here?

--

Chris Barnes                                       AOL IM: CNBarnes