[imp] Re: problem with Folder lists

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 24 12:16:09 PDT 2003

Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
> Not at all.  Pine and Imp are the ones you can control, and it's
> nice if they use the same folders.  Likewise you might default
> Imp's sent mail folder to be sent-mail like Pine.

I guess I'm at a loss to understand why Imp has such a bad performance
hit when it is told the folders are on the user's root directory, when
other Imap clients don't seem to have a problem.  Most of them even have
a way to mark which files are folders and which are not (and only
display those that are marked).

> For the PC clients, your choices are:
>
> (1) Educate the PC client users to configure mail/ as the "prefix"--
> this is called different things in different clients.

You don't have "users" who are 62 year old secretaries that call you
because their anti-virus program finds a bug in an attachment?  Can you
imagine the nightmare trying to get them to
  a) change a setting in their email client
  b) logon and manually move the folders that arlready exist
would be.

Now granted, from a standpoint of purely organizing files in a person's
home directory, changing the PC client to point to the same pine /mail
directory is nice (very nice).  I just don't see it as a valid option
for a large number of my users.

--

Chris Barnes                                       AOL IM: CNBarnes