[imp] Fwd: question about horde 3.0

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 10 09:12:30 PDT 2003

> ----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von pmeza at mafufo.com -----

> I have two questions.
> 1.When will the next stable release of Horde v3 and imp v4 will come out?

No idea myself.  Horde V3 is coming along pretty fast, not sure about IMP v4.
In any case, no release dates yet.

> 2.If i Download the newer stable releases (i have horde 2.1 and imp 3.2),
> backup my config files, untar the files overwriting my installation and
> restorung my config files will work ok?

You will need to update your config files after doing so.  Compare your
config files with the new *.php.dist files, and make any changes/additions
needed.

You might want to use the patch files if available, instead.  You will still
need to update your config files in any case.

> Also, a suggestion other than question, there should be a Version history on
> the horde website for the main projects.

Please explain what you would want in this history.  I don't really know
what such a history would contain, or accomplish.

> I currently have Horde 2.1 and imp 3.2 and dont know what where the features
> integrated on the new releases.

If you check the "announce" mailing list archives, the release message usually
tells you the most important new features.  Is this the kind of history
you want?  If so, then I supposed just archiving the annoucement text would
be sufficient, if not redundent.  But maybe you want more than this in the
history?

In the case of IMP, if you just go to the IMP web page, and select the
version you want to know about, it usually lists the major changes from
the previous version.  So you don't need to check the archives for IMP
like you may for some other projects.

> If they are good i would take the time to
> upgrade as i have it installed centralized on a web appliance with 30+
> comercial websites.

Your IMP is pretty up-to-date.  You run 3.2, and the current is
3.2.1 which is just a bug-fix to 3.2.  So not compelling unless you
experience the bugs fixed.

You run Horde 2.1, which is rather old.  There are many changes from
Horde 2.1 to Horde 2.2.3, so for that you should consider an update.
But that is up to you to decide.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics