[imp] Local IMAP connection problem (invalid remote specification)

Josh fzzzty at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 08:27:02 PDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem getting IMP to work, and haven't been able to
find a solution in the list archive. There are some similar problems,
but none of the solutions seem to fit here. I am using IMP 3.2.1 with
PHP release 4.3.2. The IMP test page says everything is okay and my PHP
installation is supported. I compiled PHP with the following command:

./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/httpd/bin/apxs --with-gettext
--with-imap --with-imap-ssl --with-mcrypt --with-mysql --with-xml
--with-zlib --with-dom

PHP has imap and imap-ssl support, and all the HORDE and IMP
requirements (I think?). I don't plan on using imap, only imaps, but
its in PHP anyways (I guess both are required). I know the IMAP server
(imap-uw) works because I can connect via imaps with a normal email
client (Mozilla Thunderbird) and everything works--SSL authentication
and encryption included. When I run the IMP IMAP tests, I get an error.
Here are the settings I use to run the test, which should be correct:

Server: localhost
Protocol: imap/ssl/novalidatecert
Port: 993
User: josh
Password: ********

Seems okay to me. I have tried to connect through my domain, IP,
127.0.0.1, and internal IP (behind a port forwarding NAT). I have tried
various protocols also, and each time this is the error I get:

server="localhost" user="josh"
mailbox="{localhost:993/imap/ssl/novalidatecert}INBOX"

array(1) {
  [0]=>
  string(93) "Can't open mailbox
{localhost:993/imap/ssl/novalidatecert}INBOX: invalid remote
specification"
}

This leads me to believe that I misconfigured IMP somehow. here is the
configuration in its latest form:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'server' => 'localhost',
    'protocol' => 'imap/ssl/novalidatecert',
    'port' => 993,
    'folders' => '/var/mail/',
    'namespace' => '',
    'maildomain' => 'endries.org',
    'smtphost' => '',
    'realm' => '',
    'preferred' => ''
);

I have changed all sorts of things here trying to get it to work, which
is why this might look screwy. The mail on my system is in files
located at /var/mail/username. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh