[imp] Apache segfaults due to error in Horde.php logMessage()

Magnus Nordseth magnun at stud.ntnu.no
Sun Aug 3 10:01:49 PDT 2003

Gonzalo Servat:

> How can I test to see if the problem is still resident in the latest
> version of PEAR::Log?

I don't think the problem is related to which version of PEAR::Log you are
using. I use the syslog facility and I am not sure if the problem exists
with other loggers as well.

The PEAR::Log module provides a singleton method to ensure only one
instance is created. However, the imp code uses this method in the wrong
way, making a copy of each object, not a reference to it. That bug exist in
imp 3.1 as well as 3.2.1 and probably in older versions as well.

With imp 3.1 and the pear version that comes with php 4.2.3 I didn't see
any segfaults. I haven't investigated why it works there.

My conclusion is that imp triggers the segfault. One can discuss if there
should be possible for a bad script to segfault apache (php), but by
correcting the bug in imp, things seem to work.

To test if the problem go away, I would just apply the patch, read some
mail in imp while tailing the apache error_log. If you can't see any
Segmentation faults, then I think you are home free :)

--
Magnus Nordseth