[imp] Autoreply/Forward Code

Ken Weaverling weave at college.dtcc.edu
Mon Aug 11 12:09:30 PDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Rob Wiltbank <chade at hopi.dtcc.edu>:
>
> > Greetings folks.  Below is a contribution to the project to enable email
> > forwarding and autoreplying for IMAP servers that do not, by default,
> > support these features.
>
> Does your code anything that Forwards (http://horde.org/forwards/) or Ingo
> (http://horde.org/ingo/) don't handle?

I asked Rob to hack together something to fit our environment and told him
he could share it with the list, in case someone else could make use of
it. We use sendmail with procmail as a delivery agent, basically what
comes stock on redhat linux these days.

Basically, forward just drops a .forward into the user's home dir.
Autoreply drops a procmail-compatible config file in user's home dir that
addresses some of my auto-reply beefs, like only replying once to a user,
and adding appropriate x-loop headers and not replying to bulk or junk
emails.

It won't allow a forward and auto-reply to be active at once.

>From briefly looking at vacation, it requires the vacation program and
seems to store stuff into a database. A bit overkill for us.

The great thing about open source is ability to tailor to specific needs.
If someone can benefit from Rob's work, great. If not, no big deal either.
The scope of it is pretty specific and doesn't fit into the way other
horde apps work, so I don't expect it to be included into any official
distribution. Whenever IMP 4 and Ingo go mainstream, we'll probably drop
it.

For now, it works for us, and that makes me happy! :)

Ken Weaverling, RHCE,   weave at dtcc.edu
     Manager of Computer Support
Delaware Technical & Community College
          +1 302 454 3978