[imp] Spellcheck

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Wed Aug 27 10:41:28 PDT 2003

>   Is there currently a solution to make spellcheck work with PHP
> safe_mode being
> on?  I went through the archives and found that this was causing
> problems

I spent two or three hours on this problem, actually.  It's not a
"straightforward" problem, I assure you.

I've chmod'ed, chown'ed, mv'ed, and cp'ed files, binaries, and dictionaries
all 'round Perdition's FLAMES to find functionality, but unlike Khan Noonian
Singh, I had to give him up.

I need to 'strace' things in all likelihood and see what the problem is, but
unfortunately I don't pay my bills by writing code for confused "typeless"
languages.  I have a sneaky suspicion it might be an ENV problem, as Safe
Mode places limitations on exported ENV's and which ones can be altered.
I've played with the obvious there as well (LANGUAGE, LANG_, etc).

I got *everything else* working warninglessly and seamlessly in IMP/Horde
otherwise.

Jan "Got a patch?" would probably welcome a re-implementation using
native-mode PHP "pspell", don't bother with aspell it's dead.  Unless of
course you mean the native library and ispell replacement aspell available
at http://aspell.net/ (why didn't this bozo use a different prefix
letter?!), in which case, that's even better than pspell, and is the REAL
pspell PHP expects to link against, since pspell is also pretty much
obsolete and nearing uselessness, but not as much as the original aspell.

Confused?  I hope so.  IMP uses none of these spell libraries (via PHP),
only as external commands.  You can plop the binaries into the Safe_Mode
bindir all day until the cows come home, and you will stare at your mute
reflection in your monitor and ponder the Why? of it all.

Yours in Safety,

=Apollyon=