[imp] Login failure for one user

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Tue Sep 2 19:21:13 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:38:21PM -0400, Charlie Reitsma wrote:
> Quoting Pierre-Luc Soucy <horde at crealabs.com>:
>
> > Assuming that he is experiencing the same problem as I did and reported
> > Friday (with no feedback yet), the cookies being enabled or not have no
> > effect on the error message.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pierre-Luc Soucy
>
> I'll report that this is happening on campus but it is rare. The user knows her
> password. IMP fails to log the user in. I set up a Netscape mail client (I have
> not tested with any others) for the user, login once and logout. From then on
> the user can log in to IMP without any problems.
>
> This used to happen in conjunction with a Segfault in the apache log and a page
> cannot be displayed. But since I upgraded to PHP 4.3.2 the user just cannot
> login and stays at the login page with the failure message.
>
> Since using Netscape mail with the account once fixes the problem I am presuming
> that this is an IMAP issue with either 2001a imap client or PMDF (our imap
> server software).

Just a shot in the dark:

I remember seeing something like this months ago when the user had "*"
(star, without the quotes) in his/her password. It should then be sent
in the LOGIN IMAP command surrounded by quotes. I can't remember  what
was the fix I've found, though :-( Possibly rebuilding PHP with a more
recent UW-IMAP library.

For what it's worth,
Greets.
_Alain_