[imp] trouble with multipart/appledouble viewer

Ben Poliakoff benp at imap.reed.edu
Wed Sep 3 16:07:53 PDT 2003

I'm running CVS HEAD versions of Horde and Imp and am having problems
with viewing and downloading multipart/appledouble attachments.

We are a Mac heavy community and most of our users are currently using
a server/client email package called Blitzmail (not too well know
outside of Dartmouth College, where it originated).

When I try to read a message with an attachment sent from such a mail
client I see attachment#2 with MIME type multipart/appledouble and:

    The original file can be downloaded HERE.

    Contents of the Macintosh file:
    There are no parts that can be displayed inline.

The trouble is, clicking on the "can be downloaded HERE" link only gets
me the resource fork ("%filename" not the actual file named "filename").
This probably happens because the resource fork is the first of two
parts in the multipart/appledouble file....

I can follow the link to "download all attachments (in .zip file)" but
it would really be nice if the appledouble viewer could display the two
components (resource and data forks) of the attachment.  Squirrelmail
1.4.1 manages to do this pretty well.

Now it may be that the Blitzmail client is writing bad MIME, but
regardless I need to find a solution to this problem.

So I guess I'm asking how hard it would be to add an "exploded" view to
the appledouble MIME viewer (so that the user could be presented with
links to the resource and data forks)?  Or perhaps would it be possible
to configure the appledouble viewer to strip resource forks altogether?

Ben

Ben Poliakoff                                   email: <benp at imap.reed.edu>
Reed College                                           tel:  (503)-788-6674
Unix System Administrator       PGP key: http://www.reed.edu/~benp/key.html