[imp] trouble with multipart/appledouble viewer

Ben Poliakoff benp at imap.reed.edu
Fri Sep 5 15:49:55 PDT 2003

Quoting Lord Apollyon <implist at paypc.com>:

> My version of Horde/IMP shows both parts as well.  It's just potentially
> confusing to someone who's never seen it before to figure out which one is
> the "real" file.
>
> I'm using the prior release version of HORDE/IMP (not CVS HEAD).
>
> =Apollyon=

Hmm.  That's interesting.  When I view the message I posted to the list with the
multipart/appledouble attachement Imp "displays" MIME part 1 (the text of my
message) and MIME part 3 (the sig for the IMP mailing list).

MIME part 2 is only referenced in the "Part(s):" field.  IMP displays the
follwing text describing MIME part 2:

     2 	unnamed  [multipart/appledouble]  26.50 KB  [Download]

If I follow the link "unamed" I get a new window which says:

    This message contains a Macintosh file. The original file can be downloaded
    HERE.

    Contents of the Macintosh file:
    There are no parts that can be displayed inline.

Clicking the "HERE" link doesn't result in a file download, actually, when I
click the "HERE" link, nothing at all appears to happen.

So then I try following the [Download] link which allows me to download the
entire encoded MIME multipart/appledouble file, but it's hard for a user to do
much with a file full of Base64 encoded text.

Finally, clicking the "Download All Attachments (in .zip file) results in my
downloading a attachments.zip file which, after uncompressing, contains the
data fork of the original attached file.

But it would be an awful lot nicer if both parts of the original
multipart/appledouble MIME attachment were visible from within IMP (and
"downloadable").

It sounds like that's exactly what you're seeing with the stable IMP/Horde.  Is
that correct?

Ben

Ben Poliakoff                                   email: <benp at imap.reed.edu>
Reed College                                           tel:  (503)-788-6674
Unix System Administrator       PGP key: http://www.reed.edu/~benp/key.html