[imp] Re: [horde] Who is online?

Gary Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Sun Sep 7 21:46:11 PDT 2003

Careful grasshopper...  A friend of mine runs multiple web sites for a small company on a dual processor Xeon and one of the things that they run quite a bit is phpnuke and phpbb.  You would be amazed at the resources it actually takes to keep track of these.  First off is it real important to track these users and if you are required to then what is the best way.  We found that by removing things like "who's online" tracking information out of programs like phpnuke we get a good amount of CPU back under normal usages (300k hit's/day).

Maybe using some sort of shared memory might be in order but this would only work on single server instances.  This would reduce your read/write time.  I think that updating the database for every user is almost insane as the data is not important (as it's only temporary state data) and isn't worth the write cycles.  OTOH I do know that sometimes business requirements seem far more important than performance (especially if your managers are like mine :) ).

So, in essence my short answer is don't do it but if you have to don't write it to a db and try not to write it to disk (shared memory being preferred over the rest).

Gary Smith