[imp] trouble with multipart/appledouble viewer

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Sep 11 14:18:25 PDT 2003

Sorry for the delay... I've been way busy lately.

Quoting Ben Poliakoff <benp at imap.reed.edu>:

| When I view the message I posted to the list
| with the
| multipart/appledouble attachement Imp "displays" MIME part 1 (the text of
| my message) and MIME part 3 (the sig for the IMP mailing list).
|
| MIME part 2 is only referenced in the "Part(s):" field.  IMP displays the
| follwing text describing MIME part 2:
|
|      2 	unnamed  [multipart/appledouble]  26.50 KB  [Download]

This is 100% correct.  The multipart/appledoube part was attached as
type=attachment so it should not be displayed to the user until requested,
as per RFC.

| If I follow the link "unamed" I get a new window which says:
|
|     This message contains a Macintosh file. The original file can be
| downloaded HERE.
|
|     Contents of the Macintosh file:
|     There are no parts that can be displayed inline.
|
| Clicking the "HERE" link doesn't result in a file download, actually,
| when I click the "HERE" link, nothing at all appears to happen.

*This* was a bug - we were generating javascript links in the attachment
window even though we never included the code that implemented the JS
function view().  Now, regular href links are created and this works.  This
should be the link Mac users select (I think) to download the file.

| So then I try following the [Download] link which allows me to download
| the entire encoded MIME multipart/appledouble file, but it's hard for a
| user to do much with a file full of Base64 encoded text.

These are the links that non-Mac users should follow to download the data
for the file.

Don't know what's happening on your system.  When I click download, it pops
up a window asking me for a file name (default 'test_document') to save as.
 Since the MIME type for this part is application/octet-stream, this is
correct behavior.

After saving the file, if I open up the 'test_document' file with MSWord, I
get the phrase "This is a test document.  It should be MIME encoded as
multipart/appledouble."  Thus, it appears that this is working beautifully
as well.

michael