(forw) Re: [imp] trouble with multipart/appledouble viewer

Ben Poliakoff benp at imap.reed.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:58:36 PDT 2003

Whoops, forgot to send this to the list... (sorry about that Michael).

Ben

* Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu> [030911 14:19]:
> Sorry for the delay... I've been way busy lately.

Thanks for the reply!

> Quoting Ben Poliakoff <benp at imap.reed.edu>:
>
> | If I follow the link "unamed" I get a new window which says:
> |
> |     This message contains a Macintosh file. The original file can be
> | downloaded HERE.
> |
> |     Contents of the Macintosh file:
> |     There are no parts that can be displayed inline.
> |
> | Clicking the "HERE" link doesn't result in a file download, actually,
> | when I click the "HERE" link, nothing at all appears to happen.
>
> *This* was a bug - we were generating javascript links in the attachment
> window even though we never included the code that implemented the JS
> function view().  Now, regular href links are created and this works.  This
> should be the link Mac users select (I think) to download the file.

Ok.  I did a cvs update and found the fixed behavior that you describe.
But I still see a problem.  When I click the "HERE" link I now get the
file download/save dialog, but it's only giving me the resource fork
(application/applefile), not the data fork (application/octet-stream).

> | So then I try following the [Download] link which allows me to download
> | the entire encoded MIME multipart/appledouble file, but it's hard for a
> | user to do much with a file full of Base64 encoded text.
>
> These are the links that non-Mac users should follow to download the data
> for the file.
>
> Don't know what's happening on your system.  When I click download, it pops
> up a window asking me for a file name (default 'test_document') to save as.
>  Since the MIME type for this part is application/octet-stream, this is
> correct behavior.

Hmmm.  When I do the same thing it give me the whole
multipart/appledouble file (both forks Base64 encoded).  This is not a
format that a user can work with very easily.

> After saving the file, if I open up the 'test_document' file with MSWord, I
> get the phrase "This is a test document.  It should be MIME encoded as
> multipart/appledouble."  Thus, it appears that this is working beautifully
> as well.

Well it sounds like it's working a lot more smoothly for you, so that
means that some part of my installation must be misconfigured.  I've
done some cvs updates recently.  Guess it's time to compare all the
.dist with my files....

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Poliakoff                                   email: <benp at imap.reed.edu>
Reed College                                           tel:  (503)-788-6674
Unix System Administrator       PGP key: http://www.reed.edu/~benp/key.html
0x6AF52019 fingerprint = A131 F813 7A0F C5B7 E74D  C972 9118 A94D 6AF5 2019

----- End forwarded message -----