[imp] Fwd: IMP sizing information

Charlie Reitsma reitsmac at denison.edu
Fri Sep 12 07:02:26 PDT 2003

Multiple machines. But no need to make it high-end stuff.
I thought a single Enterprise 450, 4 CPU, 4 Gig RAM could handle 1000 users but
I could not get it to work well. (Maybe because it was running the campus
portal, web site and calendaring system also).
Now I use three LX50's, dual CPU, 1 GIG RAM each for the Horde/IMP setup under
Redhat 7.3 and a Netra X1, single CPU, 1 GIG RAM, mirrored HD, for the mysql
database and software load balancer (pen). We peak at about 1300 concurrent
sessions each day. If we increased the number of users substantially I would
only add more LX50's as the Netra X1 is idling most of the time.

I think there was something in the FAQ about handling tens of thousands of users.