[imp] Login without a mailbox

Richard Gilbert R.Gilbert at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 05:15:10 PDT 2003

> > We use LDAP for authentication to our Cyrus IMAP server.  All our
> > users are in the LDAP server but not all our users have mailboxes on the
> > IMAP server.  Users without a Cyrus mailbox are still able to login
> > via our IMP Webmail service and are presented with an empty mailbox.  Now
> > that a link to Webmail is being offered from a portal the chances of
> > people logging in to Webmail by mistake and being confused are greatly
> > increased.  Can anyone suggest a simple solution to this?
> >
> > We are using horde-2.2.3/imp-3.2.1.
>
> use a filter for pam_ldap like :
> in /etc/pam.d/imap :
> auth    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so config=/etc/openldap/ldap_im
> ap.conf
> auth    required        /lib/security/pam_unix.so
> account sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so config=/etc/openldap/ldap_im
> ap.conf
> account required        /lib/security/pam_unix.so
>
> and in =/etc/openldap/ldap_imap.conf aktivat an filter :
>
> pam_filter objectclass=hordePerson

Thank you for this.  I know that I can control the success of the
authentication by modifying the data in the LDAP directory.  However, this
will be a big job to do properly.  I was looking for an IMP solution.

At the moment IMP shows an empty mailbox with the text "There are no
messages in this mailbox." even though the mailbox does not exist and the
response to the "SELECT INBOX" command was "NO Mailbox does not exist".
I would suggest that IMP should distinguish between the two distinct cases
of (a) an inbox which exists but is empty and (b) an inbox which does not
exist at all.

TYIA

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services