[imp] Safe Mode

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:54:37 PDT 2003

Quoting Lord Apollyon <implist at paypc.com>:

> Given some of the Horde/IMP's developers' hostility towards "Safe Mode", I
> suggest you maintain a list of Safe-Mode violating lines of code.  The pity
> is that code can check for Safe Mode being on and proactively avoid making
> such calls.

What hostility?  I believe the response you were met with was
"none of the developers run in safe_mode, so we have not made any attempt
to make it work in safe_mode".  Have you submitted good, clean patches to
fix the problems?

> I operate a sizeable production IMP server in Safe Mode with *NO*
> compromises whatsoever except for the loss of Spell-check functionality.  I
> haven't figured out what breaks that yet.
>
> =Apollyon=

And I've appreciated your input on safe_mode issues, and updated the FAQ
when you have asked or contributed new information.  But you have never
submitted a full description for the FAQ.  I don't remember you submiting
full patches either, though I could be wrong on that one...

I will be saving this message you posted for future FAQ safe_mode updates.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!