[imp] Add Users

Kent Martin horde at kentsworld.com
Mon Oct 13 02:47:06 PDT 2003

David,

I just had a glance at the instructions you mentioned & it looks like you are
using IMAP on local host as the authenticating mechanism.  While you are
attempting to login, do a "tail -f /var/log/maillog" in a window and see what
is happening.

I suspect the problem is that either a) You don't have an IMAP server installed
(in which case, grab the imap-server package from your nearest Redhat mirror
and install it) or b) You haven't enabled enabled imap in xinetd.

The easiest way to do this is to edit /etc/xinet.d/imap and change the line that
reads "disable = yes" to "disable = no".  Then, send a HUP to the xinetd
process or restart it "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart".

I further recommend, that if you are not planning to use other clients
(Evolution, Outlook etc) to connect to your mail server, that you also add the
following line to /etc/xinetd.d/imap

bind                    = 127.0.0.1

The whole file will wind up looking something like:
service imap
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
        log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
        log_on_failure  += HOST
        disable                 = no
        bind                    = 127.0.0.1