[imp] Re: Authentication Problem

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 29 08:57:39 PST 2003

Quoting Ryan Burton <ryan at 602global.com>:

> C'mon, someone must have seen this!?  Anyone?

Seen it lots of times.  And it is fairly meaningless.  Check your imap
logs, instead of the Horde logs, to find out why it is failing.

It is trying to login as "user at example.com" but I have not idea if that
is correct.  Should it login as "user at example.com" or just as "user"?

> I replaced my e-mail with the user example.  I get this after I log in,
> then when browsing around I get knocked back to the login screen with
> the second error.  The folling is what's on those lines
> line 92:  Horde::logMessage($entry, __FILE__, __LINE__, LOG_NOTICE);
> line 281: Horde::logMessage($entry, __FILE__, __LINE__, LOG_ERR);
> Has anyone seen this before or know how to resolv this annoying issue?

Look in your imap logs.

> > It's not just a simple password remember issue or enterer incorrectly,
> > because I type it a few times and it works.  Random amount of times I

Maybe you have a bad key on your keyboard, that works sometimes and not
others?

> > Has anyone seen this before or know how to resolv this annoying issue?

Not without more information from you.

> >> Ok, I am still having problems authenticating using either IMP,
> >> Mozilla Mail, Outlook....doesn't matter.  I have increased the
> >> allowable connections from on IP, and the number of daemons, but
> >> doesn't help.  Here are some symptoms:

So are you (or someone) saying this isn't an IMP issue at all, but happens
will all mail clients?  If so, then you have an imap server problem.

Do you run your server from inetd?  If so, you could be hitting the rate
limit and need to raise it.

> >> - IMP webmail is the same thing.  Sometimes I can login ok, but it
> >> will log me out at radom times.  Sometimes while clicking on mail,
> >> options, folders...whatever.  Then I get back to the login
> >> prompt...try again a few times, and it might let me back in.

IMP has to login fresh for each operation.  So if the login fails, you will
naturally be bounced back to the login screen.  This is normal.  The problem
is not with IMP, but with your imap connection (network, server, etc).

> >> I really hope someone can help, I can't figure it out.  If it makes a
> >> difference I am running Slackware 8.1, newest versions of Horde and
> >> components, courier-0.43.2, php-4.3.3, vpopmail-5.2.1, and mysql
> >> 3.23.52.

No idea how vpopmail works, so I can't help.  But if you tell use how
it is run (inetd, daemon, etc) maybe we can propose possible things to check.

Otherwise, you really need to ask on the vpopmail list, since this is not
an IMP issue but an imap server issue.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics