[imp] Speedup patch

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 07:13:56 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:58:29AM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:
>
> > Please find a patch against imp-3.2.1 that should speed it up a bit.
>
> Cool - have you actually done any testing to get numbers on this?

No I haven't, I suspect that you need a large system to notice much of a change,
my own box is just me.

I discovered it by stracing the web server and wondering why it kept on opening the
same file over & over. The file will be in the kernel cache, but one of my customers
uses imp with a large number of users - so any speedup will help.

What is left (for every message) is a sequence of time related system calls,
I haven't worked out what causes it yet. Maybe someone reading this might know:

	time(NULL)                              = 1067814901
	time(NULL)                              = 1067814901
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	time(NULL)                              = 1067814901
	time(NULL)                              = 1067814901
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0
	alarm(0)                                = 0

BTW: I recently installed the php cache (http://apc.communityconnect.com/) which
saves 'compiled' .php. I don't have speedup indication but hope to in the next week or
so.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org