[imp] Forwarding of attachments not consistent ...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Nov 4 12:05:10 PST 2003

Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org>:

| On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
|
| > Quoting Gary Smith <gary at primeexalia.com>:
| >
| > | Marc,
| > |
| > | That's the winning question.  I'm not sure.  I have been working on a
| few
| > | projects with PHP that utilize a lot of memory.  They are Intranet
| > | application involving uploading of very large (10mb) data imports.
| We
| > | ran into some similar problems.  The uploading wasn't the problem but
| the
| > | processing of the file contents into array (similar to your problem
| > | below) was the problem.
| > |
| > | As I'm no expert on the memory consumption of horde/imp I'll let the
| > | group fill in the rest.
| >
| > Short answer - disable memory limits.  From horde/test.php:
| > If PHP's internal memory limit is turned on and is set too low, Horde
| will
| > not be able to handle large data items (e.g. large mail attachments in
| > IMP). If possible, you should disable the PHP memory limit by
| recompiling
| > PHP *without* the "--enable-memory-limit" flag. If this is not
| possible,
| > then you should set the value of memory_limit in php.ini to a
| sufficiently
| > high value.
|
| 'K ... but, is there no way of trapping problems like this?  Instead of
| the erractic behaviour like I was experiencing?

Because, for example, your session data size will not be the same between
successive page loads since the information in your session is being
updated/cached on every page load.  Since PHP has to read the session
information into memory on every page load, naturally the amount of
available memory will vary every time you load the page.

michael