[imp] large attatchements

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Nov 7 10:02:26 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-2] Tomá¹ Macek wrote:

> Yes, that's fine. But I have the 8 MB memory limit, and when I sent the
> mail with various attachment of total over 4 MB, apache died. That's the
> reason, why I programmed the restriction for each attachment and the
> total of attachment (yes, the total is already in the IMP implemented).
> I think, that 8 MB memory limit should be fine... Why it was not
> enaught?
>
> Maca

Processing attachments uses a lot of memory.  There must be memory to
store the original attachment, the base64-encoded version of the
attachment (which is typically 33-40% greater than the original
attachment), and all the "normal" Horde/IMP memory requirements.

I'd suggest setting the memory limit to at least 3 times as much as your
maximum uploaded file size.  We set our upload file size to 10MB and the
memory limit to 30MB and haven't had any trouble.  Most of the apache
processes use from 10-15MB of memory each (6-7MB shared), so memory usage
is not a big concern.

	Andy