[imp] Migration from Sqwebmail

Alex Kirk alex at schnarff.com
Fri Nov 14 11:51:54 PST 2003

Hello All,

I ran across a link to Horde/IMP today, and after looking at the demo at
hub.org, I'm dying to move away from Sqwebmail to IMP. It's got all the
features I've always wanted, and then some.

I've got what may seem like a fairly basic question before I do so, though:
will I be able to preserve my existing Maildir structure without too much
pain? Right now, I use Qmail with Maildirs, and just have Sqwebmail write
directly to them instead of using any form of IMAP. More specifically, I've
got many sub-folders (i.e. ~/Maildir/.MyFolder) that I'd like to see
preserved. From my (admittedly very rudimentary) understanding of how IMAP
works, I seem to believe that this should be very simple -- I think it
basically just reads either an Mbox or a Maildir and sends it out to the
client. Since I don't know for sure, though, I'd like to find out before any
migration.

Also, if anyone is familiar with installing IMP as an OpenBSD port/package,
any word on where it installs itself, dependencies, etc. would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Kirk