[imp] Mail directories

William Limratana will at primedata.org
Mon Nov 17 20:57:16 PST 2003

Hello,
  I'm relatively new to IMP - and mail in general, but I've been
learning quite a bit.  I looked through much of the archive, but didn't
see the answer to this question/problem.

I'm running postfix and IMP 3.2 using POP, not IMAP.  Do I need to have
Maildir directories for each user account?  Some users use pine and have
a /mail directory.  Perhaps I can configure Pine to look at Maildir
instead of mail?  Basically, what I want to do is have synchronized
email - Pine and POP work well - When I delete a mail through my POP
client, say outlook, the mail doesn't show up in Pine, and when I delete
it in Pine, if I haven't downloaded it to my POP client yet, it won't
come up in my POP client.  I would also like this to work with IMP - I
don't want to see messages in IMP that I've already deleted in either my
POP client or Pine (though I suppose I can live without Pine if I get
the webmail working how I want it to), and I want to be able to delete
messages through IMP and not have them show up in the other 2.  Mostly,
this is so that I can deal with Spam only once.  But also, it's just
nice not to have to delete emails more than once just because you view
your mail from multiple places.  Also - I don't keep mail on the server
long - only long enough for my Work and Home Outlooks to pick up the
mail - which is usually no more than a Week - so I don't want to keep a
copy of mail on the server for very long.  Is this possible with IMP?

Thank you,
  William