[imp] really simple questions: what does 'Alternative' mean?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Dec 1 09:21:32 PST 2003

Quoting jonathan soong <jon.soong at imvs.sa.gov.au>:

| Really easy question that a user just asked me.. :)
|
| What does the 'Alternative' icon mean in the main Inbox? The one with
| the Netscape looking icon next to it?

It means that the message is of MIME type multipart/alternative.  This means
the message has several alternative ways to have its contents displayed
(most commonly, the message will have both a plain text and HTML
renditions), and the mail user agent (IMP) should display the most advanced
rendition it is able to (which IMP does in HEAD; multipart/alternative
handling doesn't work well at all in IMP 3.x).

michael