[imp] ingo (imp) filter question

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Wed Dec 3 11:32:08 PST 2003

--On Wednesday, December 03, 2003 12:55 PM -0600 Eric Rostetter
<eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Jeff Tucker <jeff at jltnet.com>:
>>
>> > OK, I understand. My users are complaining about this behavior since
>> > this isn't the way it used to work. We've removed working
>> > functionality with this.
>>
>> I have to agree - runtime filters are different from sieve, procmail,
>> et. al, and though having a uniform interface to them makes sense and is
>> great, it doesn't make sense to restrict functionality when we don't
>> need to...
>>
>> -chuck
>
> I think more importantly is the idea of removing previously available
> functionality.  If the old IMP filters worked one way, and ingo was
> supposed to replace them without change to functionality, then we
> shouldn't change functionality.  This seems to be what the person who
> brought this up was saying, no?

Yes, a little of both. The main thing is losing fuctionality we once had.
>From looking at the code, it doesn't seem difficult to make Ingo filter any
folder when using the "imap" filter scripts. I hope that functionality
isn't limited just for the sake of making it consistent with procmail or
sieve.

Incidentally, the exact same argument that Eric brings up applies to the
HTML message composition. I don't want to veer off subject or sound like
I'm complaining, but HTML composition worked for something like 90% of
users based on the number of users who use Internet Explorer. Now it works
for well under 10% of users and it doesn't for anybody who used to use it.
I realize HEAD is a place for development, but it seems to me that a change
this large shouldn't have been made if the code didn't actually work. And,
for the vast majority of users, it doesn't. The stable releases of Imp seem
to be falling further and further behind HEAD, which forces many of us to
use HEAD on production systems. But, the HTML message composition hasn't
generated nearly the number of complaints that losing the filter
capabilities has.

Jeff