[imp] Re: Scalable Webmail HOWTO and LDAP doubts

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Dec 9 20:59:13 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, chris albert wrote:

> Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> > Quoting Paulo Jan <paulojan at yahoo.com>:
> >

> >>	With this in mind, what I'd like to know is: is the
> >>above because am I doing something wrong, or because
> >>the Scalable Webmail HOWTO is effectively out of date?
> >

> > Very much so.
> >
> Is there any information available for setting up Horde/Imp for a large
> environment, say at least 5K users?

That is a pretty vague question...  :)

Do you mean 5K total users, with some subset of that actually using
webmail at the same time, or do you mean 5K users logged into webmail at
the same time?

If you are trying to host more than a couple hundred active sessions at a
time, I'd invest in a hardware web load balancer.  Then you can scale
horizontally by adding additional webmail servers as the load dictates.
Run the preferences/session database on a separate server.

You can find some information about our setup at Oregon State University
at:

http://www.onid.orst.edu/docs/technical/servers.shtml

Specifically, look at the Mail Server and Webmail Servers sections.

	Andy