[imp] over 800kb Attachment problems

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 18 08:15:54 PST 2003

Quoting Antonio Guerrieri <ant at mailing.unile.it>:

> SquirrelMail works well with this php.ini and apache settings...
> so it is not a php or apache problem...

This is not a logical statement.  I can write two programs.
I run two versions of horde on the same web server.  Same php, same
php.ini, same apache, same server.  One works.  The other doesn't.
But that doesn't mean the problem is in horde.  The problem *is* in
php (a segmentation fault when it calls a php imap call).  Just because
one works and one doesn't in no way means that the problem is in the
program, and not in apache/php/imapd/etc.

> The problem is with horde/imp 2.2.4/3.2.2 the previous version worked
> well...

Then you either need to get this version working, or go back to a
previous version that worked.

> I have tried any possible settings also with 100MB!
> for max_upload, memory_limit and post_max_size in php.ini
> but imp sends the message with a 0Bytes attach if it is greater than
> ~800K.

This can be caused by problems in apache configuration or php configuration
if you are using apache 2.x.  It could be a problem elsewhere.  Not sure.

I'd need to know more about your setup.  Maybe you posted the needed info,
maybe not.  If you did, I missed it (I've taken a lot of vacation time
lately, and tend to ignore the list when I'm on vacation).

> The message errors in apache error_log are:
> PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  direct_access in
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/horde/imp-3.2.2/templates/menu/menu.inc on
> line 53, referer: https://astrid.unile.it/horde/

This is an error that should be fixed.  I remember a lot of such errors
in the list archives, probably a year or so ago.  It sounds to me like
a misconfiguration.

> PHP Warning:  filesize(): Stat failed for /tmp/impattAq3KNu (errno=2 -
> No such file or directory) in
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/horde/imp-3.2.2/compose.php on line 330,
> referer:
> https://astrid.unile.it/horde/imp/compose.php?
> uniq=9357328493fd9bb4039cf71071234059892

This can happen if you run apache 2.x with php as a filter, and if you
tell apache to use php as both a filter and a handler.  This is a common
mistake in particular on Red Hat 8 and later configurations...

Of course it could be something else also.  All it really says is the
uploaded file is missing or unreadable.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics