[imp] thumbnail preview of many images

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Dec 18 09:57:16 PST 2003

Quoting Daniel Eckl <daniel.eckl at gmx.de>:

| Hi!
|
| I just checked the fixed thumbnail preview support. It works fine now, but
| there
| is a drawback. In the past, the thumbnails could be opened through an icon
| directly beside of the attachement.
|
| Now I have the attachements shown in the header as I configured and below the
| mail there is the link to the thumbnail.
|
| Now thats not a real problem in normal cases. But I had a mail with multiple
| big
| images in the attachement. Now I have a bunch of attachements in the header
| which is fine. But now I have a bunch of links below the mail which have no
| visible connection to the attachements.

This is desired behavior.  I changed to this behavior for several reasons:
1) It is cleaner in the code.  Before, the code to generate the little icon for
thumbnails appeared in the IMP_Contents library; this code really belongs in
the library that handles image attachments (i.e. the IMP MIME_Viewer image
library).
2) The code that renders this attachment info can now be used by all
MIME_Viewers, not just images.
3) I personally find this current setup more useful than having the icon next to
the Part listing - when the icon was in the Part listing, it was difficult to
determine that 1) the icon could be clicked, and 2) that the icon provided a
thumbnail generation.  Now, the behavior of the thumbnail generation can be
easily explained to the user.

michael