[imp] New mail notification

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jan 5 14:16:44 PST 2004

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> | Since the recent changes to the folder code (not the very recent, but
> the
> | preparation steps), I get notified about unseen mails instead of recent
> | mails in the folder view (popup notification). Or the mails keep recent
> | though they aren't anymore.
>
> This is definitely up for debate, but I personally feel this is a more
> accurate
> implementation of what the new-mail popup window is supposed to do.  When
> you
> are in the folder screen, the window will keep popping up as long as
> there is
> 'recent' (i.e. freshly delivered) mail in a mailbox.  Thus, if you have 2
> new
> messages in your INBOX, the window will keep popping up until you visit
> the
> INBOX.  To me, this makes more sense than a popup window that comes up
> once
> when the mail is first delivered in the mailbox.
>
> Reasoning: If, for example, I have new mail that is delivered into 3
> different
> mailboxes, a window will popup up telling me this.  I will go to one
> folder,
> read the mail, and then go back to the folders screen.  At this point, I
> want
> that window to popup again telling me there is still new mail in the 2
> other
> mailboxes.  That mail is still new to me since I have never had a chance
> look at that folder and glance at the content of the message yet.  If
> that
> window doesn't popup again, I assume that the messages in the 2 other
> mailboxes
> are simply unread messages, not new (here we go with the whole new/unread
> distinction again .... :) )
>
> Another problem - the "old" way of notification had faulty logic that I
> touched
> upon in a previous message.
>
> If the 'old' way of notification is the preferred way (comments), we
> could go
> back to it but we should use the IMAP_Cache module to handle the details
> of new
> mail checking.

As you may guess, I'd *strongly* prefer the old method. I see your
reasoning, and I can use your example pretty well for my preference. I
often get mail delivered into different folders, the mail filters already
sort them into folders so that I know what they are about.

I often get notification of new mails for half a dozen folders at a time and
it's really annoying that I have to go into each of these folders to make
the message disappear.

And even worse, if I don't have the time to look into all folders, for
example because I know it's a mailing list message anyway and I'm busy with
other things, I don't get notified about *really* new messages, because the
popup window stops the page from reloading.

Jan.

http://www.ammma.de - Neue Wege des Lernens