[imp] Problem reading signed messages

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Jan 13 09:09:32 PST 2004

Quoting "Veen, van Stephen" <s.vanveen at pinkroccade.com>:

| Hello,
|
| I'm running:
|
| horde-2.2.3
| imp-3.2.1

[snip]

| When I receive a signed e-mail (content-type = multipart/signed) with some
| plain bodytext and an attached signature (of type
| "application/x-pkcs7-signature") I only see a line that states an "unnamed"
| plain text document instead of the bodytext inline and the signature named
| "smime.p7s" as an attachment. Only after opening this document "unnamed" I
| can see the bodytext along with all the headers as well as the unreadable
| base 64 coded signature.
| What I want to see is the body text inline and the signature stated as an
| attachment of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" and named "smime.p7s"
| which I can click to download and view with some certificateviewer.

IMP 3.2.1 doesn't handle multipart/* messages other than multipart/mixed very
well at all.  And multipart/signed messages are in no way handled with any sort
of useful output at all.

If you want to read/send PGP or S/MIME messages, you must use IMP HEAD which has
full support for these features.  As mentioned many times on this list, there
is no way these features can be backported to IMP 3.x.

michael