[imp] pop login failure (not really)

Ross Simpson mqsimpson at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 13:54:14 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to get IMP 3.2.2 working (with Horde 2.2.4), and am having a
strange problem.  I've googled, looked at the FAQ, list archives, etc.,
but haven't found anything that solves the problem.

The problem is, when I attempt to login to IMP, a successful POP3 login
occurs, but IMP waits a minute or so, then says that the login failed.

This is what I get from the horde log:

Jan 30 14:47:15 HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN 64.236.189.116 to
localhost:110[pop3] as rsimpson at cherryvale.org [on line 284 of
"/home/www/cherryvale.org/www/horde/imp-3.2.2/lib/IMP.php"]

But, looking at qmail's logs, I see this:

Jan 30 14:46:15 [vpopmail] vchkpw: login success
rsimpson at cherryvale.org:127.0.0.1

I can successfully login to the pop server with the same username and
password:

$ telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <24795.1075496782 at mail.seventh.net>
user rsimpson at cherryvale.org
+OK
pass ....
+OK

Here's the applicable section from servers.php:

$servers['pop'] = array(
     'name' => 'pop server',
     'server' => 'localhost',
     'protocol' => 'pop3',
     'port' => 110,
     'folders' => '',
     'namespace' => '',
     'maildomain' => 'cherryvale.org',
     'realm' => 'cherryvale.org',
     'preferred' => ''
)

I've tried variations on the connection string to imap_open() (as
suggested by the php man page):

{localhost:110/pop3}
{localhost:110/pop3}INBOX
{localhost:110/pop3/notls}
{localhost:110/pop3/notls}INBOX

All the prerequisites for IMP and Horde are installed ok (says the
test.php pages).

I'm stuck.. not sure what's going on here.
Does anyone have any insight as to what's causing imap_open() to fail?

Thanks,
Ross