[imp] Forwarding w/full headers and HTML attachment inline

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 12 07:39:21 PST 2004

I feel like a real idiot asking what are probably some very stupid questions.

First, a little background. I got a message from my ISP indicating that it
couldn't charge my credit card for monthly service, and telling me to click a
link to update my information. As you can probably guess, it's fraudulent,
trying to scam me out of my credit card information (confirmed with my ISP's
tech support).

The message came in as a text message with an html attachment. The text portion
says that my "Email Client does not support MIME encoding".

The HTML attachment is the message about my credit card, with the link.

I tried to forward the message to my ISP's abuse address, but I got back an
automated reply saying that they need full headers and everything inline (no
attachments).

1. Can I send the message with full headers using IMP (and if so, how)?

2. When I forward the message, the HTML attachment shows attached at the
bottom. If I change the disposition from "attachment" to "inline" and click
"Update Attachment Information", I still get the message from the ISP. Their
reply shows the original message I sent, and it shows the HTML as an
attachment. Can I send it inline with IMP, and if so, how?

Sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks in advance for any help,
Rick

--
Rick Emery

 you will always long to return"