[imp] blank screen

John L. Wynstra jlw at mongo.hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Feb 19 13:33:41 PST 2004

My boss tasked me with fixing this problem and the only way I was able
to do so was by backgrading PHP to 4.3.2 from 4.3.4 when I had an earlier
IMP witand Horde.

The bug is a cascade from a situation obviously not considered by the
folks who wrote this code, but my boss does have a point, namely an error
message should be generated, not a blank screen (or a blown away browser
depending on the browser).

The procedure is to (1) click the Address Book icon off the toolbar
and thus enter Turba (2) click Browse and (3) having an item in the
addressbook with multiple lines of addresses, click that item.

Now I some time ago came to the conclusion that the designers of this
code did not intend that multiple lines of comma separated addresses
be in here, but my boss is insistant that since it isn't explicitly
forbidden, it should work.

This is where it gets weird.  A compose window pops up with a truncated
To: header since I obviously clicked on an item for which there was some
sort of overflow causing the truncation.  I admit at this point I'd bail
out if I was doing this, but suppose you're a naive user and this doesn't
stop you.  Suppose you (4) click Expand Names.

The Netscape 6.2 I have on my Windows PC produces a blank screen.
Other browsers may just blow up.  I am told that's what IE does.
Mozilla (Netscape 7.0) on my Solaris workstation likewise produces
a blank screen.  This is the bug I am reporting.  In addition an error
message appears in Apache's error_log as follows ...

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  raiseerror() in /usr/local/lib/php/Mail/RFC822.php on line 189

Is there anything I can do about this?

When I backgraded to PHP 4.3.2 (and was able to build the Log pear module)
this behavior went away and instead an error message appears on the user's
screen.  My boss considers this acceptable behavior.

I had a more severe problem involving attachments which I solved by upgrading
PHP with a later version of C-Client. but I lost the ability to backgrade
versions of PHP.  So I can no longer solve this quite the same way.
(I don't like backgrading anyway.)

One thing I've learned along the way is to keep upgrading this stuff and
not to backgrade :)  Twenty-twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I should have archived the PEAR modules before doing all this.

--	john l wynstra
	UNIX Systems Administrator
	Hunter College

	e-mail... jlw at hunter.cuny.edu