[imp] Can not create sub folder

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 26 08:33:33 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:36, connerf wrote:
> I am using
>
> imp version 3.2.1
> horder version 2.2.3
> imap-2001a-10
> Redhat Linux 7.3
>
> I can not create a sub folder.  For example I create a folder called
> work and I want to create a sub folder under that called memo.  When I
> click create folder I get the following error
>
> The folder "work/memo" was not created. This is what the server said:
> <i>CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node /home/username/mail/work/:
> File exists</i>
>
> The directory $HOME/mail/work exists but $HOME/mail/work/memo does not.
---
This isn't an imp problem - it is a problem with uw-imap and the fact
that a mail folder is not a directory.

If you delete the work folder (which is actually a mail folder and not a
directory), then you can create work/memo which will create the work
subdirectory simultaneously with the memo mail folder. Then you could
add other mail folders to the work subdirectory. Netscape/Mozilla also
supports this method with uw-imap. Microsoft Mail clients do not have
this ability.

Craig