[imp] some messages prevent inbox page from loading

Brendan Chard brendan at chard.net
Sat Feb 28 06:09:03 PST 2004

I'm running into an odd problem on my two horde/imp installations that I've
seen some references too but did not seem to fit my problem exactly.

When a user receives a message with a lot of recipients in the "TO" field,
specifically messages that are HTML formatted and have mal-formed headers,
such as "recipient <recipient at domain.com]"

When this message lands in the mailbox, the inbox page stops loading and
viewing the source of the inbox page shows that the html simply stops right
around the point that it is going to load the various column formats for
displaying the list of messages.

I've included the last few lines of the mailbox.php source that is fed to
the web browser below.

As soon as this message is removed from the inbox everything starts working
again, of course until another message like it is received.

I tried seeing the effect of this message on other imp installations, such
as at the University of Michigan, and there was no problem.  So I know there
must be a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help and see below for test.php results and the
html source.  I also have the problematic message available should anyone
need to view it.

-Brendan
brendan at chard.net

Snipet of source from Mozilla browser when viewing broken mailbox.php page:

        <form method="post" name="copymove1"
action="/horde/imp/mailbox.php">
onmouseout="window.status='';" onmouseover="window.status='Move'; return
true;" class="widget">Move</a> |
onmouseout="window.status='';" onmouseover="window.status='Copy'; return
true;" class="widget">Copy</a>
        <select name="targetMailbox" onchange="updateFolders(1);">
            <option value="">Messages to</option>
<option value="">----</option>

<option value="*new*">New Folder</option>
<option value="">----</option>
<option value="">.razor/</option>
<option value="">.spamassassin/</option>
<option value="">mail/</option>
<option
value="./mail/saved-messages">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;saved-messages</option

<option value="./mail/sent-mail">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sent-mail</option>
        </select>
        </form>

        <a class="widget" href="" onclick="Submit(101); return false;"
         onmouseover="status='Delete'; return true;"
         onmouseout="status='';">Delete</a>

        <a class="widget" href="" onclick="Submit(102); return false;"
         onmouseover="status='Undelete'; return true;"
         onmouseout="status='';">Undelete</a>
onmouseout="window.status='';" onmouseover="window.status='Blacklist';
return true;" class="widget">Blacklist</a>

Horde Tests:

Horde Versions

    * Horde: 2.2.4
    * IMP: 3.2.2 (run IMP tests)
    * Passwd: 2.2
    * Vacation: 2.2
    * Forwards: 2.2
    * Turba: 1.2.1
    * Accounts: 2.1

PHP Version

    * View phpinfo() screen
    * PHP Version: 4.3.4
    * PHP Major Version: 4.3
    * PHP Minor Version: 4
    * PHP Version Classification: release
    * You are running a supported version of PHP.

PHP Module Capabilities

    * DOM XML Support: Yes
    * FTP Support: Yes
    * Gettext Support: Yes
    * IMAP Support: Yes
    * LDAP Support: No
    * MCAL Support: No
    * Mcrypt Support: No
    * MySQL Support: Yes
    * PostgreSQL Support: Yes
    * XML Support: Yes

Miscellaneous PHP Settings

    * magic_quotes_runtime disabled: Yes
    * file_uploads enabled: Yes
    * safe_mode disabled: Yes
    * trans_sid disabled: Yes

PHP Sessions

    * Session counter: 2
    * To unregister the session: click here

PEAR

    * PEAR - Yes
    * Recent PEAR - Yes
    * Mail - Yes
    * Log - Yes
    * DB - Yes
    * Net_Socket - Yes
    * Date - Yes
    * HTML_Common/HTML_Select - No
    * Horde requires the HTML_Common and HTML_Select classes only for
Kronolith 1.0 to display forms correctly.