[imp] Mac attachment testing report

Joe Kletch joe at kletch.com
Wed Mar 3 09:05:07 PST 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Joe Kletch <joe at kletch.com>:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I setup a number of webmail clients, including IMP, and a test
>> protocol
>> to test their ability to handle Mac files that are not BinHexed or
>> Stuufed.  My client gave me a tall order to find a webmail client that
>> could handle these diverse requirements and none were able to.
>>
>> If your interested the report is located here:
>>
>> http://webmail.burtonmayer.com/report.html
>>
>> At this point I am not too optimistic that anyone will work on this as
>> even Apple is moving away from their old file format.  Any comments
>> and
>> suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> The next major release of IMP will at least support appledouble and
> uuencode. It should also be easy to support other formats through the
> extendable mime viewer framework.
> I am not sure what you mean with mime/base64.

That is good news.  I am running the CVS HEAD version which I setup
mid-december 2003--I installed that after hearing the CVS HEAD
supported Mac attachments.  The appledouble icon is shown in IMP and
when clicking it another window is opened and the file is downloaded
and it can be opened from with the application (Quark) but not by
double clicking it.  The downloaded file is missing the icon data
(resource data?)

Mime/Base64 is referred to as a "Windows" attachment in the Outlook
Express I used for testing.

Can you tell me more about "extendable mime viewer framework" or point
me to a page to read more.

Thanks, Joe