[imp] Mac attachment testing report

Henry Blackman h.blackman at chester.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 09:37:19 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Kletch" <joe at kletch.com>

> Hey all,
>
> I setup a number of webmail clients, including IMP, and a test protocol
> to test their ability to handle Mac files that are not BinHexed or
> Stuufed.  My client gave me a tall order to find a webmail client that
> could handle these diverse requirements and none were able to.
>
> If your interested the report is located here:
>
> http://webmail.burtonmayer.com/report.html
>
> At this point I am not too optimistic that anyone will work on this as
> even Apple is moving away from their old file format.  Any comments and
> suggestions will be appreciated.

I have to admit my primary development environment is Mac OS X Panther, and
Apple Mail is my primary email client.  I have not had any problems in
working with IMP (even quite old versions), to do anything at all, ever!

AppleDouble encoding basically sends two files, as the attachment.  Outlook
and Outlook Express don't handle this, but you can still download the
correct file (the larger of the two).  This is what the current version of
IMP does.  I don't see a problem with this.

It's also quite possible to add data-types, and therefore icons to the Horde
framework which will then display them.  Again, not all desktop based
mailers handle such esoteric attachments correctly either!

Henry