[imp] Mac attachment testing report

Joe Kletch joe at kletch.com
Wed Mar 3 09:38:39 PST 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

> Quoting Joe Kletch <joe at kletch.com>:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I setup a number of webmail clients, including IMP, and a test
>> protocol
>> to test their ability to handle Mac files that are not BinHexed or
>> Stuufed.  My client gave me a tall order to find a webmail client that
>> could handle these diverse requirements and none were able to.
>>
>> If your interested the report is located here:
>>
>> http://webmail.burtonmayer.com/report.html
>>
>> At this point I am not too optimistic that anyone will work on this as
>> even Apple is moving away from their old file format.  Any comments
>> and
>> suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Ummm.... I would really like to see these messages, because all the
> encoding
> formats you have listed are handled by Horde (following the specific
> RFCs).
>
> Additionally, it would be great if you could explain in your boxes
> _what_ is
> incorrectly being displayed.  I notice that if *any* of the following
> "fail",
> you put a "No" down with no explanation:
>
>     * Ability to download the attachment.
>     IMP provides a download link to _every_ attachment, so obviously
> this can
>     not be where the tests are failing.
>
>     * The file name is correct.
>     I have not found a message that does not have its filename
> correctly
>     displayed on the screen.  Now, if you are talking about what the
> *browser*
>     is trying to save the attachment as (in the Save As dialog box),
> you are
>     talking about a whole other
>     topic, namely broken browsers, not broken webmail applications.  I
> assume
>     that Mail.app is a local mail application on Macs - if so, this is
>     somewhat of an unfair comparison you are making.  I should surely
> hope that
>     a native Mac application can correctly save messages on the local
> system.
>     But when you are working with cross-platform browsers, it is much
> more
>     difficult to try to
>     predict what any one kind of browser will do.  We have workarounds
> for many
>     broken browsers, but without you telling us what browser you are
> using for
>     these tests or if this is whatis failing, it is difficult to
> understand
>     or fix what is wrong.
>
>     * The icon for the file type was visible and correct.
>     Now this is *truly* an unfair comparison/test.  You are expecting
> a webmail
>     application to understand ALL of your _local_ file type settings.
> You
>     obviously are expecting way too much from a cross-platform
> application.
> [...]

Hi Micheal,

First off I have been pushing for Horde/Imp at this and other
clients--I think it is excellent and the best I have used. My use of
failed is harsh term, but the requirements by my client are harsh--you
are correct I am asking for too much of cross-platform web-based
client. Personally I think that the my client (large printer) should
handle this issue two ways: use business systems to communicate what
file transmission forms are acceptable from Macs (BinHex and Stuffed)
in email for production, and, two use Mac OS X Mail.app which is proven
to work for production email purposes. I have told them this, yet they
want to convert completely to webmail someday and see this as the first
step.

My sincerest apologies for leaving out the browser: Safari.  I did
several tests with Internet Explorer and Opera with similar results.

I'll setup an account within Horde/IMP with these test messages for you
to see as well as send you the raw messages if you like.  I'd prefer to
send these in private.  I'll also answer a number of the questions you
raised above,  I need some time to review my notes.

It seems this is of interest to the Horde team and I am happy to
provide any input I can.

Joe Kletch