[imp] IMP random logout problems

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 8 09:15:59 PST 2004

Quoting Bob Irwin <bob at pnc.com.au>:

> I'm having a lot of problems with Imp just logging users out at random.
> I've been thinking that this might be a session related problem, so I've

Probably.

> tweaked the lifetime of sessions to be an entire day, garbage collection is
> a 1 in a million chance etc.

Did you restart the web server after the changes?

Do you perhaps create session files in /tmp, and have some kind of tmp
watcher that deletes the files in /tmp at regular intervals?

> Can anyone think of any other factors that could be causing this?

Lots.  Depends on how you do sessions (local, sql, nfs mount, etc).

> We are running a courier IMAP mail server - could it be losing connection
> with that?  Would IMP log you out if this was the case?

It could be, but if so you should see errors in your imap server logs.
Maybe inetd/xinetd/tcp_wrappers has a rate limiter that is being
triggered?  So many possibilities...  You really need to start checking
log files to narrow down the possibilities.