[imp] encrypt login only?

Chris Bellomy chris at goodshow.net
Sun Mar 21 08:37:25 PST 2004

Previously, Peter Horst wrote:
: Is it currently possible only to encrypt the login phase of an IMP
: session? I just want to protect passwords, not content.

If your IMP installation is on the same servers as your mail
store; or, if your mail store and IMP installation are on a
private network (assuming there that your IMP server has two
network interfaces, one public and one private); then all you
need is to run IMP under https.  Check your Apache docs for
configuring virtualhosts under SSL.

However, if your IMP installation connects to your mail server
over a public network, then you'll need to encrypt your POP
and/or IMAP connections.  That will involve possibly recompiling
your POP/IMAP daemons to support SSL/TLS, making sure that PHP
is compiled --with-imap-ssl, and configuring IMP accordingly.

cb

 If this is not
: currently possible, at what level would this facility logically be
: offered, Horde, IMP, or web server (if that's a meaningful question)?
: I'm using the latest stable Horde/IMP and Apache 1.3.29 with mod_ssl.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Peter
:
: --
: But our concepts are only of what has degenerated and been repaired; of
: childhood, of innocence we have no idea.
:  -- Hölderlin, "Hyperion"
: --
: IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
: Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/