[imp] Server Farms..

Michael Bellears MBellears at staff.datafx.com.au
Tue Mar 30 15:05:17 PST 2004

> Oliver Kuhl:
> > First of all I cannot tell you something about real
> loadbalancers. But
> > I can tell you something about our setup, which works via
> dns-round-robin.
>
> The greatest advantages in choosing a loadbalancer over
> dns-round-robin is the ability to do healthchecking of the
> realservers. If one server fails, it gets automaticly removed
> from the server pool.

I agree - And our budget(fortunately) permits the purchase of a
loadbalancer.

> At our site we use linux virtualserver
> (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org). You should check it out.

I have looked at lvs - It does look very impressive.

> > Our imp-servers are quite the same hardware. So I have a
> > testing-machine with a little shell-script to sync all
> necessary files
> > with the production machines using rsync.
>
> We use rdist for distribution of config files.

Thanks - I'll have a look.

Cfengine has also been suggested: (http://www.iu.hio.no/cfengine/) which
looks excellent.

And CVS is also a possibility - being able to trace back how the config
file was changed is certainly a bonus.

Someone else suggested CVS/subversion, and use cfengine to handle
deploying new versions of configs.

> > >3. What about logfiles - We would have all users mail etc
> on an NFS
> > >share - Can you do the same for logfiles?(Or do you get locking
> > >issues?)
> > >- From a statistical aspect, it would be a pain to have to combine
> > >each "real" servers logfiles, then run analysis.
>
> A simple merge-sort will do this. I can mail the script we
> use if you are interested.

Certainly - Would appreciate it!

> You can also check out
> mod_log_spread, a apache module for distributing logs in realtime.

Thanks again!

> > > Also from a support
> > >perspective - How are support personnel supposed to know
> which "real"
> > >server a client would actually be connecting to in order to see if
> > >they are entering a wrong username/pass etc?
>
> Make horde syslog to a central loghost.

Will do.

> > >4. This is OT, but I thought I would ask anyway - Once we
> have a "real"
> > >server setup they way we want - What imaging software can be used
> > >(Quick recovery in the event of server failure (Eg. If
> Total rebuild
> > >is necessary), and also simple for addition of new "real"
> server)?. I
> > >would love a utility that can create a bootable CD from our SOE,
> > >giving us the ability to just place this CD into the new server,
> > >power up and in a couple of minutes we have a fully
> functional server
> > >ready to be placed into the server farm.
>
> We use pxe and redhat's kickstart to install new servers.
> Combined with rdist (which distributes configfiles) a new
> server is up and running in about 5 minutes.

I have had some really positive feedback regarding systemimager - I'll
run it on a few test servers, and see how it goes.

Regards,
MB