[imp] Attachment Size Problem

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Wed Mar 31 22:47:08 PST 2004

> I have HORDE 2.2.X and IMP 3.2.X, when I compose an email with large
> attachment >= 30M IMP automaticaly remove my attachment.

YIKES.  You're asking ALOT of PHP/HORDE/IMP.  As it is, getting 8MB
attachments through requires alot of memory.

You will need to configure your per-process limit (in php.ini) to something
like 70-80MB, and the execution time to several minutes.

If your server doesn't have at least 128MB of real RAM, forget about even
testing it.  Your production server will need at least 1GB.

I'm not sure whose algorithm sucks, PHP's or HORDE/IMP's, but it needs to
maintain the entire base64'ed attachment and the original attachment in RAM
at the same time, so figure 2.33 x the original binary attachment's size.
[Hello anybody... SPOOLING?]

I don't allow emails larger than 8MB through my gateways in any event...
it's really unnecessary, but hey, that's just my policy.  You can blow 200MB
attachments through your INBOX if you want.  Just don't expect things to
keep working smoothly.

Repeat after me: EMAIL IS NOT A FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL.

=R=