[imp] Problem with charsets (head)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Wed Apr 14 10:07:48 PDT 2004

Quoting "W. Tasin" <tasin at fhm.edu>:

> Jan Kuipers schrieb:
>
>> Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>>
>>> Try what I just committed.
>>

>> This works for me. Thanks!
>>
>> -- Jan Kuipers
>> Systeembeheer Lauwers College
>>
> But this doesn't work for me anymore.
> Because viewing a text/html attachment doesn't change the content and so
> UTF-8 chars are displayed in a ISO-8859-1 frame/window, yet.

As an update, this is being worked on.  Jan has dsecribed the problem as such:

----
The real problem is actually deeper in the MIME code. See the FIXME comment
in MIME_Part::transferDecode(), this is too much magic.

The problem is, that the mime part (if it is a text/* type) already *is*
converted to the users charset, so it doesn't help to send the original
charset to the browser when viewing the part in a separate window. We end
up with UTF-8 text being sent along with an Big5 charset header, for
example.

The correct solution would be (and I already started this once, but never
finished it) to remove all NLS::getCharset() calls from the MIME framework.
The controller should define the target charset, not the model, to speak in
MVC words.
----

I am currently in the process of doing what the last paragraph suggests.

michael