[imp] A problem with the PHP imap extension

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at adm.hio.no
Tue Apr 20 02:27:52 PDT 2004

There is a problem with the PHP imap extension when using encrypted
passwords on an imap server, notably CRAM-MD5 and possibly DIGEST-MD5

The cause is that both the UW imapd c-client library and the Cyrus SASL
library defines certain functions using the same names and sometimes the
wrong function is called. The fix is to declare these functions static in
the c-client source. RedHat has a patch for this in
libc-client-2002e-5.src.rpm (in rawhide) or later, the patch can easily be
used with other distributions too.

We have seen this problem occasionally in with our installation of IMP,
usually as something like this in the error log:

[notice] child pid 28544 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This is not a problem caused by IMAP, but at least we found it very useful
for our IMP installation to have this corrected.

-psi