[imp] PLESK & IMP

Sean D. mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Thu Apr 29 00:24:41 PDT 2004

 > If there are any Horde configuration examples/modifications or drivers
 > for this
 > version, would you consider submitting them for the HEAD versions? We
 > get a lot
 > of people asking for support on plesk versions, but none of the
 > developers use
 > that sort of hosting.
 >
 > -chuck

Chuck,
its nothing special... Plesk is just a control panel like CPanel or some of the
others, well its actually better than most others IMHO, but no special auth or
any code needs to be added to HEAD. If you want the details read on, if not you
can delete this email now.

they use a standard horde/imp setup (stable ver.)with qmail for smtp (maildir)
and courier imap and pop. In fact they used a rather strange means of doing
vhosting in imp that included some modifications to login.inc (i think it was
that file). i fixed mine to use the vhook function instead so i could use the
stock horde and imp files when updating to newer stable releases and all
essential modifications are now in my configs.

lets see... the main differences are these lines in horde/config/horde.php:
// get password from WEBMAIL_PASSWORD_FILE
if (!($fd = fopen("/etc/psa/.webmail.shadow", "r"))) {
        echo "<script>alert('Unable to get webmail password!')</script>";
        exit();

and then:
$conf['prefs']['params']['password'] = preg_replace("/\n/", "", $buff);

it uses that to pull the horde mysql pass from a file so they could distribute
the same copy of the webmail files on many servers and not have security issues.

and then to do the vdomain stuff they had a few lines to grab the apache headers
and strip "webmail." from the domain name and use the rest as the 'maildomain'
variable... heres that code (normally it would be uncommented):

// $ServerName = preg_replace($patterns, '', $headers['Host']);
// $DomainName = ($ServerName != '') ? $ServerName : 'freelancehosting.net';
// $DomainName = strtolower($DomainName);
// $ServerName = preg_replace('/^webmail\./', '', preg_replace('/^www\./', '',
$headers['Host']));

also they used the same bit of code in login.inc but i erased that long ago and
tweaked the vhook function to handle vdomains...

so basically its nothing but a slightly customized imp setup for vdomains... i
too was going to release a new tarball for the Plesk people on
atomicrocketturtle.com but i was going to wait until it was out of ALPHA and at
least into RC status... in a nutshell if they grab the latest stable (which is
newer than what comes with plesk) and overwrite their files with it they will
break it but only because of those lines in login.inc that add the domain name
to the end of the username in order to make it pass user at domain.com to imap and
not just user. (just passing the username will work in some cases though
depending on other settings in plesk.)

if you really want me to i could package up my horde for plesk and make it
available for those plesk users.  Its just the latest stable vers. of horde,
imp, turba, passwd, kronolith, mnemo, and nag. (krono, mnemo, and nag dont come
with plesk, i added them.) I plan on adding ingo too. Since horde.php pulls the
db password from that file all they would have to do is extract the tarball and
maybe chmod a few files and thats it.

> Quoting Jason Lohrenz <jlohrenz at pacificmedicaid.com>:
>
>> I'm currently working on a release for Plesk that will provide the newest
>> Horde framework including the latest IMP and Kronolith.
>> Check the forums at www.atomicrocketturtle.com for progress.

Jason, I would help you with that... but i am more inclined to wait until 4.0
goes stable or at least RC, also the ALPHA has serious issues with my php
optimizer (turcks mmcache) that i'd like to work out before i replace my
"production" imp install.

Sean.